Key task of the Unit of Forest Damage Inventory are investigations in conjunction with the Europe-wide Forest Damage Monitoring System, including increment studies and expert surveys of forest damages. Another priority activity is the planning, layout and maintenance of permanent monitoring plots for forest condition assessment. In addition, the Unit as the National Focal Centre of ICP-Forests carries out a number of coordinative and administrative works related to the implementation of the Geneva Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution and Forest Focus.
Priority Areas of Work
- Europe wide forest condition monitoring
- Forest damage assessment
- Crown condition survey
Tasks and Activities
- Annual planning, organisation and execution of crown condition surveys
- Planning, layout and maintenance of permanent sample plots addressing topics related to forest damage assessment
- Development and successive maintenance of the national database on permanent monitoring plots
- Development and on-going infrastructure management of the Level I and Level II Programme
- Development and continuous completion of all database modules under the international forest damage monitoring system and data transfer to the transnational coordinating centres
- Expert surveys on forest damage and increment studies, especially in compliance with the provisions under Article 52 of the Austrian Forest Act concerning Damaging Effects of Air Pollution on Forests.
|Ferdinand Kristöfel||Head of Unit
||+43-1-87838-1330||Schönbrunn, Room 233|
Special Unit of Management of Monitoring Plots
Seckendorff-Gudent-Weg 8, 1131 Vienna, Austria